Have you ever read this article before? CNN make a list about 40 foods indonesian can’t live without. Well, that’s article is legit, Dina surely can’t live without tahu gejrot, each time she ran into Abang tahu gejrot she will buy it, eat all the tofu and drink the sauce till the last drop so nothing left for Sarah (no joke!)
Tahu gejrot, basically is an tofu fritters dish with Indonesian spicy tamarind sauce, as corny as it’s sound, we have no idea on how to translate this dish’s name to english. And after trying to make Indonesian food last time, we simply want to share another simple dish!
Tahu Gejrot (Tofu fritters with indonesian special sauce)
- A block of tofu
- 1 Tbs sweet soy sauce (kecap manis)
- 300 ml water
- 2 Tbs palm sugar
- 3 Bird eye pepper (actually, as many as you can handle, we use about 10 of them)
- 2 Tsp tamarind paste
- 2 Shallot
- 1 Garlic
- Pinch of salt
- Fried your tofu to golden brown, then chop it to bite size, so you have beautiful white and golden brown color.
- Let the mortar and pestle out! Grind that salt, shallot and garlic.
- To make the sauce; Boil some water, put palm sugar, tamarind paste.
- If your sauce already boiled, turn down the heat, and let it cool down. After it a while you can mixed it with the spice that you grinded before.
- Prepare your bite size tofu on a plate and pour the sauce!
- Just to let you know, there’s no such thing as right or wrong about the spiciness level, our 10 bird eye pepper might cause violent stomachache to somebody else, so please work with the level of your spiciness.
- The tofu that you use have to be a fluffy one. This is because the tofu need to absorb the sauce and firm tofu have a lot of water content that will block the sauce from absorption.
- If you don’t have any sweet soy sauce a.k.a kecap manis, you can use honey as substitute, but it will taste five times better if you use sweet soy sauce. Also you can find DIY sweet soy sauce recipe online, but we never try it yourself, so we don’t really know which one we have to recommend to you.
- As usual you can use food processor to blend your shallot and garlic, but better keep the texture, we never found tahu gejrot with smooth texture sauce before.
A bit about Tahu gejrot:
- Here is the reason why it’s so hard to translate tahu gejrot to english. Tahu means Tofu, and Gejrot itself derived from a sound that a bottle (consist of tamarind sauce–Indonesian street vendor style) made when you shake the bottle, up and down as you forced the sauce out from that bottle, usually it was something like “Whack!” or “Whoop!” (?) but in our own traditional sound effects its “Jrott! Jrott!”
- This dish come from Cirebon, a port city in West Java, 231 km away from our city Jakarta. But you can find this food anywhere in Jakarta, especially near by college and school, because it’s a cheap and easy snack!
- It’s a healthy snack, but remember to eat it moderately, we find the taste of tahu gejrot’s sauce so addictive, we always eating too much of it!
We already preparing for our next recipe, it will be not spicy as our other recipe! Enjoy this recipe, and remember if you have any question, we are just one comment away!
Keep filling your tummy!
Sarah & Dina